Coaching Points for Group Leaders 6: (The Foundation) Knowing the Will of God (Upstream)
By: Stephen Phelan
Coaching Points Training Session 6 – The Foundation: Knowing the Will of God (Upstream)
Looking Back (20 Minutes)
- Accountability – Love Does
- FOR/FROM: We can’t say this enough to our mentees. Using the prayer journals, reading the training sessions, and anything that we ask them to do is ultimately not about what we want FROM them but it is what we want FOR them. We want them to have intimacy with God, to be filled with faith, hope, and love. In two words, to mature and multiply in Christ. So everything we ask our mentees to do is ultimately about what we want for them, not what we want from them.
- Share one thing that God spoke to you during your prayer time last week.
- Did you pray through the Promises of God? What did you like or dislike about it?
- What did you like about the model of meditative prayer that we introduced using the acronym A.C.T.S.?
- What did you struggle with in using this model?
Looking Up (20 Minutes)
- Discussion Questions: Prayerfully ask the Holy Spirit to guide you in determining which of the discussion questions you will ask your group members.
- Note: You may want to think about asking a particular question to a particular person (or persons) in your group based on what you know of their story or what God is doing in their lives. Also, remember to include and draw in members of the group who are less talkative than others.
Looking Forward (20 Minutes)
- Practice: N/A
- Goal-Setting: LOVE DOES
- In an effort to be doers of the word and just hearers, we’re going to memorize and meditate on Mt. 6:33. “Seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.” As we head to work, we’re going to say this verse and pray this verse on our drive to work, committing every decision we make, every meeting, every email, every conversation, to being about seeking first His kingdom and his righteousness through the power of His Spirit. In doing so, we’re going to confidently trust that God’s will is being worked out for us in and through the decisions we make this week!
- Share an area where you are seeking God’s will for your life and pray for each other.